|LeDroit Park is located immediately southeast of Howard University. Its borders include W Street to the north, Rhode Island Avenue and Florida Avenue to the south, Second Street NW to the east, and Georgia Avenue to the west. The area bounded by Rhode Island and Florida on the South, Howard University on the West, Elm Street on the North and 2nd Street on the East is a National Historic District. The neighborhood was developed by Amzi Barber, a member of the Board of Trustees, Howard University, in the 1870s, as one of the first suburbs of Washington. Many of the area's Victorian mansions, houses and row-houses were designed by architect James McGill; of the original 64 homes built, 50 remain. McGill developed and marketed LeDroit Park as a "romantic" neighborhood with narrow tree-lined streets named for the trees that shaded them; originally the neighborhood did not follow the scheme for street names used in the rest of Washington DC. Extensive focus was placed on the landscaping of this neighborhood, as developers spent a large sum of money to plant flower beds and trees to attract high profile professionals from the city. Originally, a whites-only neighborhood, LeDroit Park was gated to promote security. In July 1888, Howard students tore down the fences that separated the neighborhood in protest of its discriminating policies. By the 1940s LeDroit Park had become a major focal point for the African-American elite as many prominent figures resided there. The 400 block of U Street is the only one left which includes all of the original McGill houses.
Here's a look at 4 of our favorites from across the city - remember, we favor those with virtual tours! Take a look!